In 1987, Megan and her boyfriend, Jeff, get in a devastating car crash. Megan soon seeks for help since Jeff is unable to move. Megan stumbles across a factory and decides she can ask for help there. She soon realizes she is trapped in the factory with a crazed killer wielding a power drill. Can Megan survive the drill killer?
After escaping a car crash, the player goes and looks for help with a flashlight from the trunk of the car. After looking around the area, you see a factory and decide to go inside. Once entered, the door behind you locks. The player is then forced to find a way out while avoiding the Driller Killer. Eventually you find a door that needs to be unlocked, and the door contains three color painted keyholes. The player can find these colored keys, or alternatively go through a maze called the Sugar Tunnel. Every time the player dies, the keys spawn in a different location. In some areas, there are articles the player can read; these articles talk about different missing victims (Doesn't affect gameplay, just cool to read).
Ending A (True Ending/Update Ending): After the player (Megan) gets the three color keys and unlocks the exit door, the player sees a girl running down a long, dark hallway. Once the hallway turns red, the girl stops and the killer attacks Megan. Running down the hallway, the player gets chased as the killer's screeches get louder and louder. The hallway will get brighter and slow down, until the screen turns white. A radio has audio of the killer screaming in frustration due to Megan successfully escaping. After that, the audio cuts to a news report saying that Megan and Jeff are both missing, after the radio you can hear screaming by an unknown person and you can see the moon and the mountains getting darker. After that, the game ends and closes itself.
Ending B (Bad Ending/Original Ending): Instead of the player getting the three color keys, the player can go down the maze called the Sugar Tunnel. In the maze, there are lots of flashing images and the player is stuck in the maze with the killer. At the end of the maze, the player has time to investigate what appears to be a lair. In the lair, there are human/dog cages, corpses, kids drawings, broken toilets and a piano. After investigating or running out of time, the player is caught by the killer. This time, the player is not killed, instead Megan is trapped in a cage. As Megan is crying, the killer went to check on Megan, causing Megan to scream. The killer attempts to communicate with Megan, however it seems that he is too far gone and mumbles only gibberish. He puts down a music box playing the ending music. After the music has stopped, the killer then runs toward Megan and kills her. The game ends with this text.
"AND DEATH AND HELL WERE CAST INTO THE LAKE OF FIRE. THIS IS THE SECOND DEATH"- REVELATION 20:14
The game then ends and closes.
Newspapers / Notes
These are messages from multiple newspapers and notes that can be found around the factory. (Typos Included as to not alter the original text)
- "The search continues for two missing campers in the Pocono Mountains. Mason C. Sargent and Laurie Summers of Long Island NY, have been missing since June 8th. Their campsite and belongings have been located but investigators have few leads. Police there are no visible signs of a struggle and this continues to be a rescue mission..."
- "'POCONO VANISHINGS: NO TRACE OF MISSING CAMPERS.' April 4th 1985. Since 1978, twelve campers have disappeared over a 100 mile streach of the Pocono Mountains. ''We conduct dozens of rescue missions each year' says Park Ranger Charlie Plank. 'People come up here to camp and hike all the time without any experience. Accidents happen.' While most rescues are successful these 12 have stumped park rangers and local police. 'Campfires left burning, boots and jackets left behind, radios still playing. It's like these people we're ripped away from their campsites. says Abe Bradley who was involved in the search for..."
- "...shes my little girl. We just want her back.' Wilbur said in a tearful plea. According to the Wilburs, Christine was playing near the bushes towards the edge of the campsite. 'We called her for dinner and she just wasn't there anymore.' Police are looking at all possibilities. 'Wild cat attacks are pretty common in this area.' said Sargent Bailey but her parents think that she was abducted. 'There was no bear or a cat. We didn't hear any animals. Somebody grabbed her. Somebody took her from us.'
- 'My name is David Ashford. My address is 3656 Coburn Hollow Road Deer Creek, Massachusetts. I think I'm going to die here. I'm hiding this note in hopes somebody will uncover it and know the truth about what happened to us. Somebody came to our campsite in the middle of the night and...'
- "BRADEN MILL TO CLOSE (August 15th, 1981) After a series of accidents, the Branden sawmill will be shut down later this month by state regulators who seek to lease the land to the state park commission. But some residents say the grounds are cursed, after decades of mishaps, fires, and deaths."
- "The original building, The Sunshine Children's Orphanage was built but Russel Mort: the eccentric millionaire inventor who rose to fame during WWII and later committed suicide after allegations of child abuse inside the facility. Mort left no will and the property was forfeited to the state, which left it abandoned until a fire in 1975."
- "What remained of the building was converted into the Brandon sawmill. Since opening, 7 workers have lost their lives do to what state officials call 'a pattern of nearly criminal negligence in an effort to cut costs.' Mill Managers on the other hand blame industrial sabotage for accidents caused by faulty equipment: mostly rope and harness failures.' Somebody made the cuts in those ropes.' said Manager Bob Gibb. Just enough so we wouldn't notice but enough so they would snap during use. State inspectors have found no evidence of tampering."
- Ben Cocuzza worked on the HD remake and the sequel of the Power Drill Massacre, but both projects were eventually cancelled.
- One version of the sequel was going to take place in the desert in the abandoned mall, while another version in seemingly abandoned school. One version was titled "Murder House".
- Ben Cocuzza instead made the arcade version of Power Drill Massacre, the project is complete.
- The game is getting a VR version, it is currently in development.
- The Driller Killer's appearance may be based on Michael Myers from the movie Halloween (1978).
- There is a rumour that the sounds during the chase theme are from pigs getting killed in a slaughterhouse.
- PDM was actually a remake of Puppet Combo's earlier game Minotaur, which he was porting from 3D GameStudio to Unity. At the time the game had been renamed to "MURDER HOUSE" but later on in development he changed it to "Power Drill Massacre".