Nun Massacre, also called Night of the Nun, is a 2018 survival horror game developed by Puppet Combo. The game can be downloaded from Puppet Combo's Patreon and on Itch.io. In 2021, the game received a novelization. The same year on October, the game was released on Android and iOS mobile devices. On 24th March 2022, the game was released on PlayStation 4/5, and Nintendo Switch consoles. The game was later released on Xbox on May 31, 2022.
On May 31, 2022, Puppet Combo released a free content update called The Definitive Edition, introducing three additional storylines, new killers, as well as visual and performance improvements. The update was later released on June 2nd for the home consoles.
A letter has arrived at your house under mysterious circumstances... your daughter has fallen ill at her boarding school. As you make a trip to pick her up, a storm blows in and the road is blocked. You continue on foot through the woods and all hell soon breaks loose...
Hide from the PSYCHOPATHIC nun at all costs! She hungers for BLOOD and you are the next course!
Much like in previous games developed by Puppet Combo, the player has to explore many areas, solve puzzles and gather items in order to unlock rooms and progress further while avoiding death at the hands of a vicious killer.
The game takes place in a boarding school at the top of a hill, during a rainstorm.
To avoid getting caught by the Nun, the player has to stay out of her sight by hiding under beds and sneaking. If the player is spotted by the Nun, she will give chase and the player will have to run away. If the Nun sees the player hiding under a bed, she will flip the bed over. Also, if she sees the player getting into the vents, she will follow the player in. The Nun will sometimes hide and wait for the player so she can strike. Heavy static indicates that the Nun is near.
- Ending A: Mrs. McDonnell goes insane and buries herself alive.
- Ending B: Mrs. McDonnell gets trapped in a reality-bending vent and is killed by a small humanoid figure made of light.
- Ending C: Mrs. McDonnell slays the Nun by burning her alive, and is forgiven by Bongo the Clown.
- Ending D: Mrs. McDonnell gets herself trapped in a room that the Nun fills with her acidic vomit, killing her.
- Non-standard ending: Mrs. McDonnell gets herself trapped in a barbed wire pit, and the Nun arrives moments later, killing her.
- Mrs. McDonnell - Main protagonist. Arrived at the school to pick up her sick daughter, only to be faced with the psychopathic Nun.
- The Nun - Main antagonist (The Nun's true nature is up to speculation, although heavily implied to be imaginary and an amalgamated manifestation of guilt based on her daughter Janie, her tormentor Mother Apollonia and Mrs. McDonnell herself).
The three modes all use the same boarding school map, but with different thematic textures and feature a killer using the Nun's base model with a new skin and additional sounds, as well as new notes providing lore and hints for their respective campaigns.
(To unlock the Factory, the regular Nun Massacre scenario must be completed on any difficulty)
Based on Power Drill Massacre, the player takes control of a female camper, who narrowly escapes the grasp of a drill-wielding killer and manages to find refuge in a nearby abandoned factory, only to discover that she has just entered the monstrous maniac's primary domain. Ending A must be achieved to complete the mode.
(To unlock the Circus, any previous scenario must be completed without dying, or on extreme mode)
Based on Evil Clowns, we play as a teenaged girl, who is abducted at a local fair and must find a way out of the funhouse of her deranged carnie kidnapper. One must find the Bongo the Clown doll and place it near the exit, stationed in the area in which Ending D takes place to complete the mode.
(To unlock the Backrooms, all 10 anomalies have to be collected)
Based on Day 7, which is in-turn based on The Backrooms creepypasta, a man on his way to work no-clips through the pavement and finds himself trapped in the Backrooms with a hostile invisible entity. In a slightly cut-off version of Ending A, a door to the outside must be unlocked to complete the mode.
Main article: Items
- Rocks - can be used to distract the Nun and also to break the glass.
- Pistol - using pistol won't exactly kill the Nun, but will cause her to run away, giving the player more time.
- Radar - can be used to detect the Nun's movement.
- Screwdriver - can be used to unscrew bolts from the vent cover.
- Hammer - can be used for removing nails from wooden planks that have been used to barricade the door.
- VHS tapes - can be inserted into VHS players at certain locations.
- Lighter - primary light source.
- Wire clipper - can be used for cutting wires.
- Notes - written by Janie, can be found in many rooms.
- Wooden plank - can be used to walk across the barbed wire pit.
- Bandages - can be used to heal wounds.
- Mannequin parts - can be found scattered all over the school. Can be placed on the scale.
- Drain cleaner - can be poured in the specific drain, dislodging the hex key that was in the drain.
- Gear - can be placed in a clock.
- Hex Key - For unlocking a certain white door.
- The game was inspired by the 2018 horror film The Nun.
- The story elements of Nun Massacre are similar to Silent Hill 2.
- It was given the alternate name "Night of the Nun" just in case the notorious YouTube algorithm demonetized Let's Plays for containing "Massacre" in the title.
- The game shares same assets with Stay Out of the House.
- A Secret Mode was originally going to be added in a future update, which would replace The Nun with The Driller Killer. Unfortunately, this was never implemented and the update was later discarded. With the Definitive Edition, a mode featuring a killer based on the latter was added and can be seen as a fully realized, extended version of the initial concept.
- Puppet Combo was originally working on the Power Drill Massacre sequel, but ended up cancelling it and developed it into Nun Massacre.
- This is the first Puppet Combo game that was released on Android and iOS.
- Presumably due to restrictions regarding "sensitive" material, the game was known exclusively as "Night of the Nun" during its initial release on Play Store before the title was changed.
- This is the second Puppet Combo game that was released on Consoles, the first one being Murder House.